Sunday, April 3, 2011

Appreciating the Crescent Double Quartet

Strings swing





Aart Van Bergen, the leader of the Netherlands-based Cresent Double Quartet, followed me on Twitter this morning. The connection led me to YouTube, where I found a video he posted on Friday of the group rehearsing their new project, "Radio Mundial," along with an earlier video of the group performing "Naima." So, within 20 minutes, I had gained a reasonably complete understanding of a group about which I knew nothing up until today, and which I intend to follow as they continue to develop their music. Moments like this one make all the noise and blather of social networking seem worthwhile.

The group’s instrumentation combines a string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello), with a jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, tenor). Before listening, I was skeptical of the suggestion of combining jazz with classical. I have found that most such efforts result in coexistence, not synthesis, and not pleasurable as jazz. The main problems are that the classical musicians can’t improvise and can’t swing, and the jazz musicians tend to restrain themselves.

However, I had always imagined the possibility of strings playing jazz in a jazz ensemble. The opportunities for luscious sonorities and lively counterpoint seemed there for the taking, if musicians would want to try it. The Cresent Double Quartet has converted my imaginary music into reality.

The rehearsal video demonstrates how the strings enhance the gorgeous melodies that Van Bergen articulates on soprano. The "Naima" video shows how the group realizes this effect in performance — and they do so much more. The drummer breaks up rhythm into the highly engaging complex swing that I believe began with Elvin Jones. Best of all: the first violinist can really play. I would have enjoyed at least one more chorus from her. Near the end of the piece, when the band shifts from medium tempo back to slow, would have been a great place to take the music "out," at least briefly.

Congratulations to the Crescent Double Quartet for making distinctive music, and making their music known.

1 comment:

Aart van Bergen said...

Hi Ed, thanks for this very nice article on my group. Soon we'll have some decent studio recordings.

More info on my website: www.aartvanbergen.nl

best regards from Amsterdam,

Aart