Friday, April 15, 2011

Appreciating Eddie Jefferson


Flapping is jaws, lips, and teeth, Eddie Jefferson spit out syllables of defiantly appropriate poetry set to great jazz solos. This piece is based on Charlie Parker's "Parker's Mood," renamed for the vocalise version as "Bless My Soul."

I once transcribed his words to "Lester's Trip to the Moon," Jefferson's version of "Paper Moon." If I can find my notes and a video of this tune, I will do a post about it. Until then, if you know where I can find either component, please share.

By the way,
why has YouTube allowed this video to stay online when it is clearly a copy of a recorded piece of music used as the soundtrack to a video that consists of a still photo? More to the point, how does the entity that has the rights to Jefferson's work stand for this appropriation? This sort of thing happens all the time on YouTube. I'm glad that it's happening, because it's the only way I know to share music without getting into trouble. If anyone shared just the audio file of this tune, the person would be sued for violation of copyright and theft of intellectual property. Can someone enlighten me?


No comments: