Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey

From odd to classic, ancient to future


Jacob Fred Fred Odyssey - the Race Riot Suite: World Premier from Jacob Fred on Vimeo.

The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey came to Springfield, Mo., sometime in the early oughts. The trio played fun and spacey music, and I recall that the bass player was ill, slouching in a heap on the floor but still holding up his end. The band recorded the performance and offered to burn a CD for anyone who wanted to hang around after the music ended. I suspect they don't do that anymore, but they are generous with streaming video and audio at their website — including an embed option (see below).

I bought a couple of the group's albums right after hearing them in person, but I found the music too meandering for my taste and stopped listening. I remained on their list for e-mail newsletters and have been impressed with their expansive approach to music, including a Beethoven project, LUDWIG, and coming soon, a New Orleans project, Race Riot Suite, which should be really exciting, as the promotional video above suggests. The premier is scheduled for May 20 at the Performing Arts Center in Tulsa, Okla.

And now, the embedded Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey player. I've tested it, and I find that it spontaneously starts, but I don't see how to go to another tune or shut it off. Oh, well ...

UPDATE, 9:28 a.m. Thursday April 28: The pause button works now, and it's possible to choose different tunes. Check out "Drethoven," which is from the LUDWIG project.


No comments: