Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fighting Japanese beetles


In mid-June, Japanese beetles arrived and began munching the leaves of our eight St. Vincent plants in the back yard. By the end of the month, the damage started to exceed our ability to contain the pests by killing them one by one between our thumbs and forefingers. So, we put up the shroud again (above). I think we encased a few bugs within the shroud, because the damage seemed to have worsened slightly when I inspected it this week. But, overall, the damage is minimal, and the presence of the beetles in the neighborhood seems less menacing this year.

I'd  like to hear from anyone who has a Japanese beetle report. Worse? Not so bad? About the same?

See my report on last year's shroud escapade.

2 comments:

tate said...

absolutely horrifying infestation this year. ate my basil last week. now they are onto the crepe myrtle and roses. http://www.flickr.com/photos/t8designs/5909835805/in/photostream

Ed Peaco said...

Hello, Tate. Thanks for reporting about the horrible beetles, though I regret that they have hit you hard. I checked out the link and, yes, it is a gross image, indeed. Would you mind telling us the general area where you live?