Monday, September 26, 2011

Notes on the Springfield Jazz Festival

The quantity and quality of local musicians impressed me. By carrying the music into the community on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, these players built out the festival beyond the typical concert venue, which was one of the goals for the second year of the event. I am still learning new names of people who play jazz, and looking for the names of others I’ve heard but not met.

Who were the people playing at Canvas Art Gallery on Friday evening? They played many different styles of jazz with a distinctive trombone-tenor front line.

Who was the impeccably stylish trumpet player who jammed outside Trolley’s and later outdoors at 319 W. Walnut St.? Speaking of 319, who was pouring complimentary beer there? Thanks to both.

Two people whose names I know really stood out, Austin Farnam (saxes) and Chris Vanderpool (trombone). They made the most of the weekend, playing at three venues each, and maybe more. Definitely among my local favorites.

John Strickler’s trio engaged in lively interplay as if they were the reincarnation of the Bill Evans trio but with the pianist swapped out in favor of the guitarist.

MSU Jazz Symposium — loved the shifts of time and rhythm.

Saturday night’s concert:
  • I knew about Conrad Herwig, but I did not know a trombone can generate a continuous slur entirely consisting of music between the notes.
  • The MOJO Band was superb in its articulation of rhythmic chatter behind Herwig on “Lonnie’s Lament.”
  • I saw Dick Oatts as a member of the saxophone section of the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra at the Village Vanguard in 1998. Until Saturday night, I did not know he is capable of going absolutely berserk.
  • Randy Brecker played for a shorter period of time than Oatts and Herwig but managed to convey as much or more.
  • I agree with the choices for winners in the trumpet competition, by I also really enjoyed the Harmon-muted performance by Christopher Lawrence of his piece, “Mr. Weirdo.”
Check out photos from the festival in previous posts:

No comments: