Thursday, April 19, 2012

Grape vines go crazy

More buds, more foliage this year.
  
After all the 100-degree days last summer, I expected our St. Vincent vines to show stress this year. Instead, nearly all plants are producing more buds than ever, and the foliage that shot out in the late-winter warmth is making the vines shaggier this year in mid-April than they were last year in mid-May.

Even one of the two sad vines on the east end of the row has come up with a couple of buds. If a good portion of the buds turn into grape clusters, I'd say we'll have a harvest of twice the quantity this year.

Last year, I followed the advice of a pal who recommended thinning the number of clusters to about 10 per vine to avoid stress that would reduce the yield in the next year. I thinned all but one plant. This year, that undisturbed vine has more buds than than the others that were thinned, so I'm doubting the value of the practice.

This year, I may go for maximum yield, come what may.

This year's foliage in mid-April is bushier than last year's in mid-May.




No comments: