Tuesday, August 28, 2012

David Murray Blues Big Band



I've always wanted to enjoy free jazz more than I actually do. But I'm glad people keep playing innovations, whether I like them or not. Eventually, I and/or the artist might come around to an accommodation that I will enjoy.

Such is the case with saxophonist David Murray's work. Throughout his life of squalling and beeping, he has always found a way to rein himself often enough to stay grounded — and he almost always plays in a deep rhythmic pocket.

Decades ago, I had trouble with the extramusical sounds, but now I'd be disappointed if he didn't play them.

Now, he and harmolodic guitarist James Blood Ulmer have teamed up to front a blues big band. From this promotional video, it sounds like the ultimate combination of tradition and extremes.

I assume this video is OK to copy here because of its promotional nature and because Murray's website links to it and encourages embedding.

2 comments:

vagranaut said...

I remember David Murray from the World Saxophone Quartet in the 1980s, which opened my eyes to experimental music. Haven't heard anything about him since then. Nice stuff. Thanks for posting!

Tim Connor said...

Ulmer, even at his most harmolodic, has always been a blues player. Murray I haven't listened to as much, but this is really cool.