Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ultimate wine-jazz nexification



I believe I have found the true wine-jazz nexus:

In my vast freelance practice, I do restaurant profiles for the News-Leader. This week: St. George's BBQ and Catering. As usual, I shot photos and sampled food on site, then I went home with to-go boxes. For accuracy, I sampled the food again later in the evening. In this case, it was ribs.

These ribs were gloriously smoked. The aroma suggested that a smoker was operational in the house. To taste, the effect was that of a smoker inside the mouth. To complement, I opened a bottle of Norton from Tyler Ridge grapes, which I had oaked two months ago. The effect of the wine was to suggest that oak was smoldering within the mouth. The wine will, I hope, achieve a subtle oaky essence in a year or so. At this point in its development, it perfectly complemented the massive smokiness of the ribs.

On top of this feast, I put on the video, "Charles Mingus, Live at Montreux 1975," with George Adams and Don Pullen. On "Sue's Changes," these two musicians delivered etched-in-brain, off-the-edge solos, Adams' pupils disappearing into the recesses of his skull, Pullen's hands flying in keyboard smears — knuckles / fingers / knuckles / fingers. The perfectly wretched yet divine excess.

The ultimate wine-jazz nexification.





No comments: