Thursday, January 25, 2024

Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original

By Robin D.G. Kelley, 2009

I read this massive biography over two periods of time: the first quarter of it sometime in the last half-decade, and then finished the tome in the last few months. 600 pages! Monk’s life from birth to death. Kelley documents everything. 


Here is an episode from 1953 in Brooklyn.  

There are two names that are similar:  

Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist

Theolonious, Monk’s nephew. 

Kelley interviewed Theolonious on Jan. 30, 2004.


From Kelley’s tome:


Earlier in the week Miles Davis and Max Roach met at Thelonious's apartment to go over the music. Monk’s nephew, Theolonious (“Peanut”), who just happened to come in from playing basketball, witnessed Miles, Monk and Max crammed into the tiny front room with the upright piano. The session turned sour when Miles made disparaging remarks about Monk’s playing. Monk just glared at first, but Miles would not relent and soon the dispute escalated into a shouting match. 


“Max didn’t say nothing,” recalled Theolonious, who was fourteen at the time.


“Uncle Bubba stood up and towered over Miles and they were about to go to blows. And I remember thinking, ‘Who is this little guy? I’ll whip him myself.’ Then my father [Thomas] came in the house and said, ‘Miles, man, you got a problem?’ And Monk said, ‘This is my band, my music.’ Miles said, ‘But you’re not playing it right, Monk.’ Miles looked up at Monk and I thought he was going to hit him with the trumpet. Then Monk finally said, ‘I think you better leave. This is my mother’s house and I don't want no violence in here. Then my father went over to Miles and said, Man, I think you better go.’

No comments: