Thursday, February 22, 2024


Scotty Barnhart is director of the band. Player & writer, Billy Chiles

In the jazz realm, there were two important Grammys last month.

"Basie Swings The Blues" won Best Large Jazz Ensemble album. This triumph is more than a Grammy, it's a way to keep swinging and big-banding. Scotty Barnhart, the director, has noted that the band is blues-based, with many friends like Buddy Guy, Keb' Mo' and Ledisi. 

Billy Chiles won Best Jazz Instrumental Album. His writing and playing creates powerful and luxurious songs. Ambrose Akinmusire is a flexible trumpeter. I found the album in the June 2023 DownBeat and bought it immediately. 

When I chat with jazz friends, occasionally I mention the magazine, DownBeat. And they say, "What's DownBeat?" or "Isn't that dead, year's ago?" 

For me, DownBeat is how I find out what's happening in the world of jazz, and who's making new music that I might like. 






No comments: